Mental Health Seminar for Tamils [Updated]
22, August, 2019
On June 23, CTMA hosted a seminar focused on mental health among our youth. It was a resounding success with over 200 attendees.
Our keynote speaker, Dr. Senthuran Gunaratnam, Psychiatrist, spoke on “suicide among teenagers”. With the context provided by Dr. Gunaratnam‘s talk, attendees then heard from panelists on various topics related to the wellness of our Tamil youth. The following experts formed an effective panel:
- Sudha Coomarasamy – Psychotherapist, Family Services, York Region
- Vibusha Krishnantharajah – Social Worker, Markham Stouffville Hospital
- Nishanthikka Benny – Occupational Therapist, Markham Stouffville Hospital
- Initha Subramanian – Teacher Liaison, York Region District School Board
- Niran Jeyanesan – Toronto Police Services
It was quite an interactive 5 hour seminar and the majority of the discussion was held in Tamil.